Wish+ Past Simple – odnosi się do teraźniejszości.
I wish I was/were taller.
He wishes he had blond hair.
Wish+ Past Perfect – odnosi się do przeszłości, wyraża żal związany z tym, że dana czynnośc wydarzyła się lub nie w przeszłości.
I wish I had studied more at school. ( mogłem )
I wish I had never met her.
Wish+ could – odnosi się przeszłości, terażniejszości lub przyszłości, wyraża prośbę lub żal, że niejesteśmy w stanie czegoś zrobić.
I wish he could come now.
I wish I could play like Curry
Wish+ would – wyraża niezadowolenie z czyjegoś postępowania, życzenie zmiany zachowania, które denerwuje mówiącego.
I wish you would stop shouting at me.
I wish you wouldn’t use my towel.
If only – może być użyte do zastąpienia I wish.
If only I had time now.
If only he could spend some time with me.
1.Use the suitable form of wish in the following sentences.
1) You can’t drive a car because you don’t have you driving license.
2) You want to go to the cinema but you don’t have money.
3) You work so long that you don’t have time for your boyfriend.
4) You want to go to the swimming pool but it’s closed.
5) You didn’t listen to the radio so you don’t know that there is a traffic.
6) You want to go abroad but you forgot your passport.
7) You didn’t learn so you didn’t pass your exam.
8) You want to wear your new dress but it doesn’t fit.
9) You do not have the screwdriver that you really need at the moment.
10) Your friend only uses your cigarettes and never buy himself.
11) You forgot to send the invoice and the CEO is angry at you.
12) You do knot know how to use the printer.
13) You really would like to play in NBA.
14) You see the accident on the road and you hope the passengers are safe.
15) If it weren’t raining, we would go to the park. stop
I wish______________, we would go to the park.
16) It’s a pity we didn’t see the beginning of the film. missed
I wish_____________beginning of the film.
17) I don’t know many people here. had
18) It’s a shame I didn’t go to school. gone
I wish________________to school.
19) I have found a job in UK, but I can’t speak English. speak
I wish_________________because I have found a job in UK.
20) You didn’t study hard and you didn’t pass your exam. study
21) You didn’t wake up because you forgot to set the alarm. set
I wish________________because I wouldn’t have woken up late.
22) It’s a shame we didn’t go to the church. gone
I wish___________________to the church.
23) I wish I_______________more time sunbathing last summer. (spend)
24) Do you ever wish you________________just like a bird? (can fly)
25) I wish they______________us so often. It’s a bit annoying. (not visit)
26) Today is the lottery draw. I wish I___________the main prize. (win)
27) Last year I went to England for a few days. I wish I_____________more opportunities to speak English then. (have)
28) Why do you wish you_____________football better. You are a very good player. (play)
29) I wish she________________her clothes all around the room. It’s her who makes the whole mess. (not put)
30) If only they_____________her to the cinema with them. She was sad all day yesterday. (take)
31) If only my mum___________me go to the USA last summer. (let)
32) If only I________________run as fast as the wind. (can)
33) If only my parents____________more reasonable when they invested our money last year. (be).
34) If only they_______________football a bit farther from our windows. (play)
35) If only I_______________more before the last test; I would have probably passed. (study)
36) If only my brother_________________less stubborn. (be)
37) I wish I________________more timed sunbathing last summer. (spend)
38) Do you ever wish you________________just like a bird? (can fly)
39) I wish they__________________us so often. It’s a bit annoying. (not visit)
40) Today is the lottery draw. I wish I_________________the main prize. (win)
41) Last year I went to England for a few days. I wish I_____________more opportunities to speak English then. (have)
42) Why do you wish you_______________football better. You are a very good player. (play)
43) I wish she________________her clothes all around the room. It’s her who makes the whole mess. (not put)